Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

theme days for the heat

I had very high hopes to teach the kids straight through the book of Matthew during these hot days at home....  but we lost track of it pretty early.  Argh.  We lost track-  ahem, I did- of basically all my glorious plans for homeschooling....  and after a short storm of "How could I do this!?" I decided to just let it go.  We'll get there.... and there is a time for summer vacation.  Like, Summer.

But we still did enjoy a few theme days where we read every book on our shelf and tried to find some interesting You Tube videos for just a few fun themes:  space (shuttles, planets, stars) and our bodies and ah.... maybe Curious George was our other theme day.  (PBS has a fun site for CG games online for free.)

But in better news, while we've been working for a while on sounding out words, we just started in with giving writing a stab and I think we're all loving it.  I'm seeing that this way into reading might grab them a little bit more.  So far, they're quite enjoying spelling words aloud and writing them sometimes on their own too....  these reading days are pretty exciting.... and oh, Jesus, please give me patience for this sweet journey with these kids I adore!

No comments:

Post a Comment